For sure our DG-1001M is the DG-1001 family’s flagship. With this double-seated self-launching motor glider we did not merely redefine the joy of soaring together. Above that you will experience an undiluted independence, which glider pilots so far only have come to know while flying single-seated self-launchers. Trouble-free ground handling, simple engine management and a powerful propulsion unit combined with great flight performance are the main reasons why the DG-1001M is not only popular among private owners. Many clubs already chose to fly our flagship.
A SOLO 2625-02i engine powers the DG-1001M. This water-cooled propulsion unit was especially developed to be used in self-launchers. It stands out with its little weight, its compact assembly dimension, double ignition, and a high durability. The engine’s most peculiar feature is its electronically regulated fuel-injection system, which in any rpm range will optimally supply it with fuel. The control unit permanently collects information about air pressure, air temperature, exhaust temperature, revolution speed and throttle angle. It evaluates the data and passes it on to the fuel-injection system. You won’t miss the inconvenience of carburetor adjustments.
What’s really unique about our DG-1001M, is the engine-bedding on the motor bracket: Stored on shock-mounts the power unit transmits its energy to the propeller by five v-belts. This alignment generates an unrivaled, low-vibration and calm engine operation. Thanks to 70hp and a most recent propeller by Technoflug the DG-1001M climbs with more than 3m/s. The ground run takes more or less 250m.
A nice side effect of the vibrant engine mount is a very modest noise emission. Our DG-1001M complies with the highest noise prevention requirements. Owing to the motor’s sonorous sound the noise is quite acceptable. Nobody will blame you for noise pollution.
Engine Management System
Our DEI-NT (Digital Engine Indicator – New Technology) is still state of the art when talking about automatically controlled extension or retraction of sailplane propulsion units. The graphic display provides all the information necessary for engine use and while gliding. The pilot will receive important warnings about the engine operation immediately. With the DEI-NT system DG is the only manufacturer who offers an off-the-shelf stall warning for powered gliders.
The DG-1001M is serially outfitted with a DEI-NT unit on both seats. An additional throttle for the copilot‘s seat is also part of the standard equipment. You can thus be the DG-1001M’s pilot in command on either seat.
The cockpit is like in all other DG-1001 models ergonomically designed; you will never experience fatigue in flight. With a seat cushion and an adjustable back rest the pilot can optimize his position in the front seat. The rudder pedals are re-adjustable in flight – another plus factor in terms of comfort. Any pilot from 1,55m up to 2m will comfortably be seated in the front seat. Copilots or instructors of any size take advantage of a continuously adjustable back seat. If you want to fly with a passenger you can take the stick out. Big side pockets offer adequate room to store everything you need during a (long) flight.
Our two-piece canopy provides great visibility. The rollover bar between the two canopies adds to the sailplane’s safety. If desired you may of course order a tinted canopy.
All the control elements are clearly arranged and intuitively accessible. By means of well adjusted control surfaces and only a slight effort needed on stick and rudder pedals students will quickly learn to operate the ship and enjoy flying it.
We are optionally offering a new instrument panel for all DG-1000 models, so you may place modern large board computers in it.
Electrical Landing Gear
The DG-1001M’s electric driven and high landing gear is a peculiarity in the two-seater class. With this special feature anybody can easily operate the main wheel safely and trouble-free. The entire process of lowering the gear takes 8-10 seconds. While on the ground, a safety switch prevents the gear from unintended retracting. The undercarriage, which is powered by the on-board voltage, can be operated several hundred times per load cycle. You don’t have to worry about training students. If for any reason a problem with the electric supply should come up, you can still operate the retractable gear from both pilot seats via an emergency handle. A pneumatic spring pushes the gear reliably into its locking position.
The lightweight inner wings (approx. 85kg) are easily mounted, and the connection of flight controls happens automatically. A bolt near the trailing edge reliably secures each wing, so at all times, especially under high loads, they resist lateral forces. Both water skins can carry together up to 160l and thus offer a nice flexibility to adjust the wing loading up to a maximum gross weight of 790kg. The two-bladed airbrakes are working effectively. The wheel brake is combined with the airbrakes’ handle in the cockpit. We are offering lashing rings as optional equipment. Those can be screwed into a notch near the airbrakes on the bottom side of the wings to comfortably and safely tie down the rigged sailplane on your airfield.
The trim box positioned in the vertical tail is a unique feature of the DG-1001 family. Herewith your crew’s individual weight and balance can be optimized. The element increases handling qualities on the ground as well as flight performance during thermaling or while gliding straight. The allowable center-of-gravity range may as well be utilized without employing the ballast box.
Our DG-1001M has a modern safety cockpit according to JAR-22. Some lives have already been saved thanks to the construction. To further enhance safety, we have designed a flashlight for the DG-1001 family which is integrated into the sailplane’s nose. The red flashlight significantly adds to crash-prevention. It is well visible from far distances and in any weather conditions. An important tool particularly in mountainous areas!
Due to its light wings you can easily rig or de-rig the sailplane with a rigging device. Thanks to its steerable tail wheel, a big main wheel and wingtip-wheels the DG-1001M is well maneuverable on the ground. Even on soft soils there is no help needed. You can always launch independently, and after a short while you’ll never want to miss that kind of freedom. The fuselage tank carries 40l and thus offers a higher than average range for powered flight. Refueling is comfortable: The tank can be filled from a canister with the aid of a built-in fuel pump. A small switch will automatically turn it off when the tank is filled. No spilling over.
The DG-1001M may additionally be equipped with a filler neck, so you can refill your motor glider directly from the airfield’s gas pump. A nice advantage when you plan to travel with your sailplane! The built in battery system is with its 20 Ah well dimensioned. If needed, an additional battery may be placed in the luggage compartment.
|Glide Ratio (at MTOW)
|Min. Sink (single seated)
|Empty Mass (incl. basic instrumentation) ca.||kg||520|
|Wing Loading (single seated)||kg/m²||34.2|
|Water Ballast (optional)||l||160|
|Max. Wing Loading||kg/m²||45|
|Engine||/||SOLO 2625 02i|
|Gear Reduction||/||2,8 : 1|
|Take-off distance above 15m obstacle||m||ca. 250m|
Power unit perfomance based on MSL and 15oC
DG-1001M Standard Equipment:
- Power Unit with SOLO 2625 02i
- Emergency System for SOLO 2625 02i
- DEI-NT in front and rear cockpit
- Throttle in front and rear cockpit
- Steerable tail wheel
- 20m wingspan incl. winglets
- T-35 Finish
- Wings built with carbon structure
- Wing parting
- Double storied air-brakes
- 160l water ballast
- Wing-tip wheels
- Automatic hook-ups for all rudders
- 3-D tubulators and sealings on all rudders
- Trim Box integrated in vertical stabilizer
- Tail wheel
- Electrically operated landing gear incl. disc-brake
- CG and nose hook
- Piggott-hook incl. parking brake
- VHF-Antenna in vertical stabilizer
- Registration Numbers in decals
- Innovative safety-cockpit
- O²-Installation preparation
- 4-point safety-harness
- Head rests
- Canopy cover
- Maiden flight done, ready for pick-up in Bruchsal
Here is a list of the most popular options for the DG-1001M:
- Emergency System Switch on rear seat
- Fuel nozzle
- Water ballast (160l)
- O² bottle mount rear seat
- O² bottle mount in baggage compartment
- Battery 12V / 14Ah for vertical fin
- Add. battery in baggage compartment led-acid or LiFePo
- Flash light in fuselage’s nose
- Backrest for front cockpit
- Seat cushions with standard foam or energy absorbing foam
- Addintional map-pocket on rear seat
- Tail dolly
- Taxi-bar for tail wheel
- Trim weights
- Lash loops
- FLARM Antenna Dolba BD12 in vertical stabilizer
- Transponder preparation
In addition to the above mentioned safety cockpit the DG-1001M provides a number of further safety aspects:
- Compared with other two seaters the engine ensures a relatively high climb rate, which makes the DG-1001M stand out among other propulsion concepts in this category. Our automatic engine control system for DG gliders facilitates a trouble free handling and monitoring of the running propulsion unit – even for less experienced pilots.
- With the electric starter the engine will always fire up reliably, at any time.
- The SOLO 2625 02i engine’s emergency running system is part of the serial system. It makes sure that in case of a sensor failure the engine keeps running.
- A stall warning is serially integrated in the DEI-NT unit, plus several additional warning functions during engine operation as well as in gliding mode.
- All controls (including engine controls) are operated with the left hand. The right hand may remain on the stick at all times, during any maneuver.
- Automatic connection of all control elements, including water dumping.
- Very effective two-bladed air brakes and wheel brake.
- The gear is operated via an electric switch; that is to say during the retraction- or extension-procedure you are able to stay focused on flying the glider.
Compose your own Instrument-Panel for your DG-1001M